Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Law of the Bald Villain

According to the comic books,
sinister thoughts thrive inside
the hairless heads, but why?
Because of the brunette cowlick
that dangles in the blue eyes
of our airborne all-American hero?
Because we'd have it no other way?
Because shaved scalp = skinhead?
Because it reminds us of braves
who brought their broad knees down
on the backs of blameless pilgrims
and cut long forehead-arcs
and pulled back on the hair
to pry away a grisly prize?
Is it unpatriotic to be bald?
Does it make men evil?
And what about women?
If I took a razor to my locks
and lopped every last one off,
would my head quickly fill up
with mad plots and schemes
to crush this city or country
or even the entire planet?
Are my follicles the one thing
keeping me from kidnapping
the mayor's obnoxious child
or from wiring City Hall
with complex explosives?
Do they stop me from aiming
a custom death-ray at the Sun?
So, if that's true, tell me
why I should stay my hand.
Why not cut my hair off
and lay waste to this land?

No comments: